News and Publications
online Virtual Gallery
Circle For the Arts
Artist of the Year Competition
Honorable Mention Award
9th Annual International Exhibition of Contemporary Drawing
Asheville, North Carolina
WPW and NAWA juried show
Women Artists Coast to Coast – West
Washington State Convention Cente
Art Zone: Donna Leavitt
July 2, 2015
Meet Donna Leavitt, a graphite artist who specializes in large composite drawings of trees.
Review: CityArts Magazine, March 2015
In 1930, Women Painters of Washington was launched to represent female painters from across the state and to mount regular exhibitions in Seattle and beyond. On March 5, 38 members of WPW present work that interprets the world through a palette devoid of color, exploring themes of light and dark, black and white. Donna Leavitt’s graphite drawing “Verulam” is a rendering of a lime tree in St. Albans, England, pieced together from many sheets of paper. “[This process] started in Macedonia where I served in the Peace Corps from 2006 to 2008 and had to make my drawings fit into a suitcase at the end of service,” Leavitt says. “Thus all of my big trees are done on multiple papers.” This tree is drawn from a series of photographs taken last September in St. Albans. “I was attracted to the way the light was working on the structure of the tree, and its elegant form,” Leavitt says.
- 2016 Southwest Art Magazine, “The Western Landscape”.
- 2015 Visual Voices, Larson Gallery, Yakima, WA
- 2013 Green Art, Trees, Leaves and Roots
- 2010 Colored Pencil Society of America, Signature Showcase
- Anniversary Exhibition, Whatcom Museum, Bellingham, WA
- 2005 An Enduring Legacy, “Women Painters of Washington, 1930-2005”
- 1999 Kuwait, Millenium Images, Kuwait and America
- 1999 The Best of Colored Pencil, Vol. 5